Thursday, April 22, 2010

Syrinx and Chiari Malformation




This sagittal image is from a MRI of the cervical spine with and without contrast. In this pre contrast T2 image you can see a couple abnormalities, one being a Arnold-Chiari malformation. A Arnold-Chiari malformation is a downward displacement of the cerebellum through the foramen magnum. Another abnormality is that the patient has a large cervical syrinx that extended all the way to the margin of the field of view. We later found out the syrinx was the entire length of the patients spinal cord. A syrinx is a rare, fluid-filled neuroglial cavity within the spinal cord or brain stem. I have seen a syrinx on a patient before but it was only the length of one cervical vertebrea so this one definately stands out to me. The patient's symptom was occipital headaches. I wish I could follow-up on patients and see what kind of treatment is used and if it helps for different pathologies I see! And the image I posted isn't the best, it is a picture of the computer screen with my digital camera so not the best quality but you can see the pathologies I'm mentioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment